Saturday, January 15, 2011

Divisional Playoff Weekend: The Picks

After starting off the weekend 0-2, thanks to the still under-.500 Seahawks and J-E-T-S, I rallied Sunday to finish up at a respectable 2-2. Ideal? No. But when picking against the spread anything at .500 or above is pretty solid. The Philly-Packers game unfolded almost exactly as I expected to, with the Green Bay D containing Vick and the corners shutting down the Philly passing attack. Fitting how the game ended on a Tramon Williams pick. Very poor performance by the Chiefs against the Ravens, who clearly are another year away from being true contenders.

So we head into the divisional round of the playoffs with all kinds of intriguing storylines, as every game is a grudge match from earlier on in the season. And especially in the case of the AFC games, none of the teams playing are exactly fond of one another.

Before I take my talents to Long Island for the weekend, here are some abbreviated picks:


Ravens (+3.5) over Steelers

More and more each week, the Ravens seem to be rounding into form as the team some saw (like myself) as the Super Bowl favorite heading into the season. No need to stop riding them now. Go with the Flac-Attack.

Ravens 19, Steelers 14


Packers (+2) over Falcons


Similar to the Ravens, they are getting stronger ever week and don't seem to be phased by anything. No matter who's hurt, they have guys stepping up and making plays in big spots. I mean before last week, who the hell knew who James Starks was? After rushing for just 101 yards in the regular season, he broke loose for 123 last week. I know the Falcons are tough at home, but when it doubt, go with your gut.

Packers 35, Falcons 28


Seahawks (+10) over Bears


I know I ripped Seattle to shreds last week. I gave them no chance in hell against the Saints. Did a team with a 7-9 record deserve any credit for making the post-season? I still say no, but they shut me and thousands of other critics up with an inspiring win over the defending champs. Meanwhile, people in Buffalo are jamming nails in their eyes while watching clips of Marshawn Lynch's touchdown run. But hey CJ Spiller had a great rookie year right?

If Seattle can beat New Orleans, can't they beat anyone? I think the luck has to end some time. It won't be a blowout, but I'm going with the Bears in an ugly, turnover-heavy game.

Bears 21, Seahawks 16


Patriots (-9) over Jets


I'm not even going to waste any time. 45-3. Foot fetish.

Patriots 38, Jets 21

No comments:

Post a Comment