Friday, April 1, 2011

The $14 million platoon man

Red Sox Opening Day Lineup for today down in sunny Texas:

Ellsubury, CF
Pedroia, 2B
Crawford, LF
Youkilis, 3B
Gonzalez, 1B
Ortiz, DH
Cameron, RF
Saltalamacchia, C
Scutaro, SS

Hm. Who's conspicuously missing from that right field spot? Yeah yeah yeah I know Drew can't hit lefties. And CJ Wilson is a damn good lefty for the Rangers. Well I'm no major league executive but for the life of me if you're paying someone $14 mil shouldn't he be able to hit not only both lefties and righties, but hit them both well? And Mike Cameron is 38 going on 48, so that's a pretty big liability we've got going on here.

Also pertaining to the lineup, I guess they're going to give Ellsbury the chance to redeem himself as an elite leadoff man after missing practically all of last year. I thought his speed would be a little more valuable down near the bottom of the order now that Crawford is in the mix, but if he can regain his 2009 form it really extends the lineup, evidenced by Ortiz batting 6th. I'll trust Francona on this one. Go Sox.

No comments:

Post a Comment