Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Me? Worried?

I'm fully aware of the old adage "the series isn't over until the home team loses a game", but after back-to-back no shows on South Beach, how can I not be? Other than Jeff Green and Delonte West, every Celtics player shot under 50% for the game.

Though Rondo flirted with the triple-double, I got too much a sense of his on/off switch tonight. His very first touch of the game he sliced right through the lane filled with Heat defenders, but from there seemed to come and go as he pleased. Whenever he seemed engaged, it was great basketball to watch. Either driving the lane effortlessly or finding the open passing lane, Rondo had plenty of great plays tonight. But he took a few too many off to say definitively that he had a "great game", as his stat line might suggest.

With the Celtics' big 3 battling various injuries at the moment, it's never been truer that as Rondo goes, so go the Celtics. Where's the player who was legitimately in the MVP discussion in the 1st half of the NBA season? Does he really miss Kendrick Perkins that much? I'm not here to criticize Jeff Green, who did play a decent game tonight, but it's safe to say that Nenad Kristic is about as effective as Mark Blount in his prime. And that's not a compliment. And the Heat are the one contender where Perkins' absence isn't a legitimate gripe, because Joel Anthony and company are about as scary as a haunted house at the Marshfield Fair. Even someone as brittle as Kristic should be able to handle that collection of stiffs down low.

So am I saying the series is over? I'm slowly resigning myself to the fact that I might be forced into rooting for Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, and Khloe's husband (unless of course my boy Dirk makes me look like a genius. And I can't talk myself into rooting for OKC or Memphis unless they agree to have championship parades in Seattle and Vancouver, respectively). It's pretty depressing to be a Celtics fan right now, even for the most optimistic fan out there like myself. Needless to say, Game 3 is a MUST WIN for the Celts.

But hey, Adrian Gonzalez hit his first Fenway home run tonight. David Ortiz has gone deep in back-to-back games. Carl Crawford is 6 for his last 10, including Sunday's walk-off. And I haven't even touched on the Bruins yet, but I refuse to write anything about them looking ahead of this series because, well, you know.

And that's all I've got for tonight. By the way, I said this earlier on facebook, but if Rashard Mendenhall don't like it here in America, he can just git on outta here. United States of America, greatest country in the world. Anyone from Iris Gillard's sophomore year history class knows what I'm talkin' about.

Rooting for the Miami Heat is like rooting for the Soviet Union in the 1980 Olympics.  What does that make the Lakers? Finland?

No comments:

Post a Comment